December 20, 2021 (KHARTOUM) – A human rights lawyers group said Monday having evidence that the security forces used sexual violence against female activists arrested after their participation in December 19 protests.
Hundreds of thousands of demonstrators took to the streets in Khartoum on Sunday to protest against an agreement signed by Prime Minister Abdallah Hamdok with the coup leaders in Sudan.
One protester was killed by gunshot and over three hundred sustained wounds. Also, the security forces arrested many others.
In a statement released on Monday, the Darfur Lawyer Association said they received testimonies from some women raped by the security forces after their detention on Sunday and witnesses supporting their accusations.
“Testimonies of some rape survivors reveal that (the security forces) threatened to file a lawsuit against them for engaging in prostitution, to force them to remain silent,” further said the lawyers.
In January 2011, a Sudanese activist Safia Ishaq was the first woman to publically reveal that she had been raped by the security services in a detention facility after her arrest for participation in a peaceful protest.
Also, several women spoke about sexual violence and assault during the bloody attack on a pro-democracy sit-in on June 3, 2019.
The rape survivors said determined to sue the rapists.
While the Darfurian group called on the Sudanese lawyers to join a legal team to support victims in their efforts to hold accountable the perpetrators.